Once was lost...Now is FOUND!

Remember this post?

Well, as The Hub was trying to pry open the fireproof safe that somebody (read: persons less than 4 feet tall - hey! that does NOT include me! I'm less than FIVE, thank you very much) inadvertantly locked and threw away the key (and why did we think fine motor skills was such a big deal for them to accomplish so early in life?), he came across the frame that I referred to in the said post and surprised me with it in the most uneventful way.

The Hub: (hands me the frame) The key has gone missing, I'll have to get creative.
Me: (confused trying to make the connection between the 2 things I've just heard/seen) Thanks!! (internal happy dance, external look of still a little confused) What key are you talking about?

Ahhh, falling in mutual weirdness is grand...

I didn't get too many comments on the last post regarding what analogy YOU use for how you view life, therefore I will again ask that question to my readers and invite you to share here your deep thoughts. So as promised, to you and to me, here is the essay:


My Analogy to Life

Have you ever put a puzzle together? ---One of those with a hundred million pieces? Most people (at least I do) begin to assemble the border first. You search and search the box looking for those edge pieces until finally you've created the "frame" for the big picture. You can see part of the picture but not enough to know what it is. But, once you have an idea of what is in store for you, you prepare yourself to tackle the puzzle.

Soon you begin to search the box again for the missing pieces. Usually, sorting is the most efficient way. You put all the "sky" pieces in one pile and all of the "grass" ones in another. Here is the stack of red bricks and over there are all the mountain pieces. Then you have a pile for those "what-in-the-world-are-these?" pieces.

Some parts of the puzzle are more fun or easier to put together than others. For instance, assembling a rosebush or fence is not as challenging as connecting a whole bunch of solid black shapes of a midnight sky or shadow. But, you have to do both if you ever want the picture to be whole.

Initially, there are some pieces already put together for you when you open the box. Other pieces just seem to fall together right away. Then, sometimes you get two pieces that seem to fit, and you are convinced for a while until you find the piece that actually goes there. You become confused and finally realize that you were wrong and correct your mistake. The next time you think you've matched two pieces, you tend to be skeptical, testing it a few times before feeling comfortable with your decision. Often it is frustrating, and you feel as if you'll never never find a match, but always remember that somewhere in that box is the one and only piece that will fit. You will find it -- if you are patient. And, eventually, you discover what those "what-in-the-world-are-these?" pieces are. Many times it may surprise you!

[colorful graphic of a 3x3 puzzle with these words in each of the puzzle pieces: Charity, Career, Religion, Spouse, Relationships, Personal, Health, Social, Family]

It may take a short time, or it may take a long time to complete the picture. Unfortunately, some people never finish at all. They just leave it on the dining room table with missing areas.

Depending on how much effort you put into it, and other times, on how lucky you get, all of the pieces will come together in due time. Then what you have left is something beautiful to look back upon.

JLP (1994/1996)


OK, so I was not 12 when I wrote this, BUT I certainly wasn't at the peak of maturity either.

I mean...Yes...I was 12 in 1996...(eyes darting from side-to-side)...that would only make me 24 years old...ok, it's all coming back to me now...yes...12...I do believe that was exactly my age back then.

dd ...Oh, life could be a dream, sweetheart... pp

It looks like I had revised it too. 1994 was the year that The Hub and I met and 1996 is the year that we were married so evidently there was some quasi-mature, perhaps experience-based content in there. If I had to update it again based on my (still quasi-mature) perception of life since then, I would probably add:
  • that we go through multiple boxes of different puzzles: different degrees of difficulty, different sizes/number of pieces, different themes, create-your-own-puzzles, etc.
  • that even opening the box can be a challenge (remember the brown paper tape seal they used to use back then...when I was 12...)
  • that the puzzle sometimes gets taken apart (or rolled up now since they have invented these) and put back together at a later time
  • Sometimes we complete a puzzle and then pass it to someone else to share it.
  • that motivation when looking at an overwhelming number of pieces can be hard to muster up
  • that some people don't even know what puzzles are available, or have never even attempted to put one together because of lack of time, focus, motivation, and similar excuses.
  • Sometimes we pitch in and help others with their puzzles.
  • Sometimes we do too much of others puzzles, leaving them with very little left for them to do on their own.
  • Pieces can permanently get lost (how depressing), or someone can steal a piece on purpose so that you cannot complete your puzzle. (Solution...go to the store and get another one.)
  • Sometimes we put together a puzzle and don't like what we see! And sometimes despite that, we have a hard time letting it go because we spent so much time putting it together and we keep it, maybe even laminate it so it will stay in tact, but perhaps put it in the closet or under the bed or in storage...somewhere where we might stumble upon it later, get reminded of how awful the picture really is...burn it...better yet recycle it and do something good with it! =o)
Gosh, I think I might be able to go on and on with this. It was kinda fun. Again, please add your deep thoughts, either your current analogy to life, or other metaphors of a puzzle.

Enjoy!


6 Responses to "Once was lost...Now is FOUND!"

WherestheBox (visit their site)

Very nice analogy - I am partial to puzzles myself. :)

Here's my thoughts on puzzles:
Where to start?
LIFE is the Puzzle

Gwendolyn's Gifts (visit their site)

Nice analogy. I'm sure I could come up with several for knitting.

-Starting something new is filled with excitement. The middle can be challenging. And near the end, you just can't wait to see how things turned out.

-Knitting is filled with thousands of tiny motions to make up the whole project. Life is filled with millions of small moments, choices, and opportunities.

-You can knit knowing only 3 skills (casting on, knitting, binding off). But to make the most of it, you must learn and grow. You can walk through life without changing, but really living will require some effort.

-People have been knitting for centuries. Lessons are passed down through generations.

If I had more time, I'm sure I could keep going! lol

Hippie-Goth Mom (visit their site)

This is a wonderful analogy and so very true. I often work on my puzzle of life, stand back, get frustrated and confused and put it away. When I pull it out again, I see that the pieces have changed and once again, the puzzle makes sense.

I am actually going to print this up (if that's okay with you of course)because its helping me to see that I can organize my own frustrating puzzle if I can separate the pieces into the right groups. Thanks for sharing this.

Marla (visit their site)

I am not into puzzles but M sure loves them. Your analogy is nice. You must have been a very smart young lady.

I think about life as a journey, a hike with various paths to take. Learning new lessons along the way. I always feel like God is walking this path with us.

I find this line you wrote very true, "Sometimes we do too much of others puzzles, leaving them with very little left for them to do on their own." I could at times be guilty of this and sooooo do not want to be like that. I want M to feel empowered and know that she can make choices and be in control of the things she is able to control. I want her to feel complete just as she is.

Most people don't feel complete, they have emptiness lingering. I think that emptiness is spiritual for all of us. Only one thing can fill it and I am sure you can tell I think that one thing is God.

I guess that is a bit of my analogy?

Jen P (visit their site)

@ Gwen
Yes! and the more skills you pickup on the way, the more beautiful the piece! AND the crafter sees every tiny mistake in her product that the rest of the world doesn't see. It's the imperfections that hand made items so unique!

@ Hippie-Goth Mom
I am going to scan the original into a pdf. It is one page exactly with the puzzle graphic if you want that copy instead. Just send me your email address and I'll send it to you.

@ Marla
I think too many people did my puzzles for me when i was growing up. Which is probably why I make my children do things on their own. plus I'm lazy!

And I've always heard that everyone has a God-shaped hole in our hearts and until it is filled we are incomplete. I love that visual too even though i don't know exactly how to imagine God's shape. Sometimes it is a gingerbreadman! Talk about an injustice!!

Hippie-Goth Mom (visit their site)

I would love that. Thanks for sharing it. kitkat112000@yahoo.com