Update on the school front...

We had "Get Acquainted" day at the Preschool today. I must say that I feel much better now that I have talked with Eric's teachers. They seemed very willing to work with Eric. They do not practice Time Out in the classroom, only redirection, which eased a lot of anxiety because I didn't want the other kids seeing him in Time Out all the time and be afraid of him (Time out doesn't appear to affect Eric at all). The other pit in my stomach was to warn them about his biting. I know they have a very strict no biting policy, as in expulsion after the 3rd time (Warning, Sent Home, Sent Home for good). They didn't immediately go at me like I envisioned in my head for weeks. I really felt at ease so praise God for that! I brought them a copy of the John M Ortiz lecture to listen to. Neither of them had heard of AS so I was glad that I had it available for them today. I just hope they listen to it before Monday. I'm trying to think of things that I need to make sure they know. I'm so new that I don't really know what to tell them until after it happens, even then I don't always know how to tell them how to handle it. I am experiencing this with Cris as she tells me about the "what happened today" episodes. I know what to do in the heat of the moment, but I rely alot on my instinct and how do I teach that to someone who doesn't know my child as well as me? When you know what sets him off then you can prevent a bite or meltdown or whatever. Once he is in the mode though, it takes spur of the moment creativity, a lot of patience, a lot of love, and a lot of acceptance.

I think the younger is going to have a lot of fun this year. His teacher Miss C told me over the summer she was looking forward to having him this year and I warned her that he was mighty strong-willed. Her response was the stronger the better! Yeesssss! The only bummer thing is that they don't allow cloth diapers in their class. They did last year. I guess because they are potty training at this age, I dunno, but I did ask if I could send one for them to put on him at the end of the day. That's one diaper a day, 2x a week that I wouldn't have to 1) pay for and 2) contribute to the diaper pile in the land fills.

2 Responses to "Update on the school front..."

Anonymous (visit their site)

A teacher with a positive attitude! Cracker jack.
Best wishes

Unknown (visit their site)

Jennifer- I stumbled upon your blog by accident when I was reading a comment you left on my blog. I am glad I did. It is so obvious to me how much you love your children and really know them. Really, truly know them-and pay attention to the details of their day. Eric is a remarkable little boy. He is so funny and bright, and I have always enjoyed his company. Reading some of your quotes from Eric, I could actually hear him saying them and laughed out loud. The OK at the end of a sentence is one my favorites from him. Joshua says it sometimes and without fail I think of Eric.

I wanted to comment on your post about feeling like you have to prove to everyone this diagnosis. As hard as it might be, let that go. I have that problem with everything in my life and it is exhausting.

Eric is going to be just fine- because you are going to fight for him and give him the foundation he needs to become the person that God has planned for him.

I am so proud of you and your ability to take a situation and want the solution instead of dwelling on the problem. But remember, sometimes, everyone needs to vent. Maybe we should work on that friendship we always talk about having if we weren't so busy....I could use a good margarita myself!