Traveling to see family

I thought I would link to this post on Elissa's site for reference and for those wanting to know the how, what, and why of aggression in an ASD child. Since we are traveling for the holidays to my parents' home this year and will be seeing lots of family who haven't seen the kids (at all or in a very long time and definitely not since The Elder's diagnosis), I have been a little nervous about the trip. Entitled "How To Cope With Aggressive And Violent Behavior In Your Child With Aspergers," it helped me categorize everything in order to explain it to someone else (and hopefully family will read this before we arrive!). Thanks, Elissa, for that post.

I think my biggest fear about the trip is the out of control feeling I get when he does something that we've worked on for months. We can make so much progress with him in a particular environment, but it only takes one unfamiliar trigger for it to come crashing back to square one. That's when I feel like people are burning holes into my skin staring at me and I feel like my every move is being watched and scrutinized. It doesn't matter how many times I'm told to let that roll off my back or that they aren't really thinking that, it still feels that way. Maybe with the new prescription I won't be too anxious about it all, but I don't want to be aloof about it either. Ho Hum.

On a different note, I also found this video on Elissa's site and fell in love with the excitement I felt watching it.

(I had to change the link because MySpaceTV changed the URL)
Jason McElwain autistic athlete

2 Responses to "Traveling to see family"

tulipmom (visit their site)

"That's when I feel like people are burning holes into my skin staring at me and I feel like my every move is being watched and scrutinized. It doesn't matter how many times I'm told to let that roll off my back or that they aren't really thinking that, it still feels that way."

This so perfectly describes how I've been feeling lately when I pick SB up from school. Major meltdowns the second he sees me. It's really quite lovely.

Thanks for the link to Elissa's website.

Anonymous (visit their site)

Hi Jen,
I cry every time I watch this video, it is so lovely!
Feeling out of control has been the hardest thing for me in dealing with my son's autism - and of course, the judgement that comes with it!
I get nervous approaching any sort of occasion, and again it's the unknown of what is to come...