Happy Birthday

One of the things we were suppose to do yesterday that didn't get done was our Advent.ures Calendar. It is a daily devotional that I got from church for the Advent season and I have to say that before we didn't really have any Advent traditions (other than stressing out over the usual holiday things like shopping and cooking and then later on, traveling). Well they were selling these for a buck as a fundraiser AND it had stickers so I thought let's try to do something as a family. There is a cardstock wreath and candles and on the wreath there are holly berries (I assume) with numbers for which there is a sticker for each day to add to the wreath. So when I got home today after church I broke out the scissors and sat down with the kids and read today's (and yesterday's) devotion and then we cut out the wreath. As I was cutting, The Elder looks at the diagram and announces,

"It says we have to make a birthday cake."

So true...candles and all, it looks like a birthday cake (and a crown too - they each tried it on). But we tied it all in as the Royal Cake for His Birthday.

"See, we got to make holes in it."

As he opens the junk drawer and finds a hole puncher. But I pointed out that even though they look like holes in the diagram they are actually the places where we put the stickers, therefore you can't put holes in it or there wouldn't be anywhere to put the stickers. Good enough logic. (Hmmm I don't recall putting the hole puncher away. Great. Hope we don't have holes in random things...and the confetti from them either.)

We each (The Hub, The Elder, The Younger, and myself) pulled a candle through the wreath so we could say we did it together. Then we moved it to the dinner table where it got passed around on their heads and they took turns "blowing out the candles" (woo-hoo. The Great Pretenders). It's made of paper so I hope it lasts for another 23 days.


Posted by Picasa

5 Responses to "Happy Birthday"

Sustenance Scout (visit their site)

Cute photos, Jen! My youngest keeps reminding me we need to get the Christmas decorations out! The Advent wreath is always first, but that'll have to wait until after today's birthday celebrations for another young lady in the family. Happy Advent! K.

Susan (visit their site)

Excellent day and very cute little participants! :)

tulipmom (visit their site)

Cute photos! Good luck finding that hole punch :) Things like that always seem to migrate from "my" kitchen drawer to one of SB's craft bins.

Unknown (visit their site)

What a great idea- I need to find Joshua something for advent, soon, before December slips away from us like the rest of the year did.

Thanks for the comment about the matching outfits. I was SUPER excited about that and it was everything I thought it would. Come on more Holidays!

General Contractors Tempe (visit their site)

Goood post