Whoa there, Trigger Thumb

Does anyone have any experience with this condition?

6 Responses to "Whoa there, Trigger Thumb"

tulipmom (visit their site)

Ugh ... no experience here. Which of the boys has it?

kristen spina (visit their site)

Gosh, I've never heard of it before. Hope everything is okay.

Jen P (visit their site)

The AP pointed out during the drive that The Younger's thumb was crooked over and a little swollen. I pulled out the laptop (in the car! I'm telling you broadband cards rule!) and googled "my son can't extend his thumb" and got the link in this post. It doesn't seem to bother him, but then again he has the pain tolerance of a linebacker. The article says that after 1 year of age, it usually requires surgery to correct. =o( We plan to call the pediatrician when we get back.

Niksmom (visit their site)

Never heard of it in kids...my 76 yr old father had it a while back and had the surgery. His developed after years of repetitive motion/posture...he was a surgeon. Does one of the kids play a lot of video games (are they old enough for that??), suck his thumb or something that would cause it to shorten the tendon? Defintely see the pediatrician and then an OT before you look into surgery. Just MNSHO (my not so humble opinion)... Merry Christmas!

Jen P (visit their site)

Niksmom,
Thanks for some food for thought. He's 2 and not very nimble yet, though he has very good motor skills both fine and gross, he can't give a thumbs up (even on the good thumb). Just hasn't developed that coordination yet. So I'm not sure what repetitive motion it would be (no sucking thumb either). The article says that 2% are born that way. Maybe he's one of the unique ones. (BTW, my dad is a retired surgeon too!)

Jen P (visit their site)

It must have been something that developed over time because it you notice in my banner to my blog, the picture to the left was taken a few months ago and you can clearly see it in his right hand vs his left hand with the straightened thumb. However in the "tree" picture which was taken last year, you can't see a significant amount of "triggering." Very interesting. I'm just glad he's not in pain. It doesn't affect him at all.